The Key Comprehension Routine: Primary Grades teaches K-3 students basic comprehension skills using existing classroom materials. Teachers learn how to use oral language, visuals, and read-aloud to provide grade-appropriate instruction that can be incorporated during core reading and subject-area instruction. Adoption of The Key Comprehension Routine: Primary Grades across grades K-3 in a school provides a consistent set of introductory comprehension skills as students move from grade to grade.
- Oral language: how to use oral language and a rich language environment in the classroom to improve listening comprehension, a necessary precursor for reading comprehension
- Text structure — sentences: how to analyze text for read aloud and reading that contains complex sentences and how to build syntactic awareness
- Text structure — paragraphs: how to use knowledge of paragraph structure to support comprehension
- Text structure: building awareness of the difference between narrative and informational structures
- Categorizing and main idea skills: expanding basic categorizing into main idea skills and identifying main ideas during read aloud and reading
- Top-down topic webs: introduction to a flexible, foundational graphic organizer to organize verbal or written information
- Two-column notes: introduction to a format that teaches the difference between main ideas and details
- Retell and summary: using retell to organize and describe the events from a story, and using basic summary to analyze text to identify the most important ideas
- Question generation: students learn that thinking can occur at different levels from easy to difficult through an introduction to question generation using Bloom’s Taxonomy
View Printable Brochure/Registration Form or Register Below.
Who Should Participate
All grades K-3 teachers, educators who provide support to struggling readers, literacy specialists and coaches, and elementary administrators.
Enter the number of attendees you wish to register for your selected The Key Comprehension Routine: Primary Grades session.