Dates of Training: June 26-28 & July 23-24, 2018
This 5-day advanced training is for building or district level individuals to become Certified Level I Trainers for The Key Comprehension Routine.
The Key Comprehension Routine is a research-based comprehension, writing and study strategies professional development program. The training can be used to support an MTSS district or building literacy model for Tier I Core instruction and Tiers II & III supplemental instruction. The routine includes main idea skills, text structure, topic web graphic organizer, two-column notes, student-generated questions, and summaries. There are two versions: Grades 4-12 and Grades K-3.
The five-day course prepares literacy educators to provide professional development for both grade-level versions. The trainer will be Cindy Cooke from Tyner, NC. Participants will learn how to:
- Deliver initial training for teachers using a hybrid-online model that combines face-to-face training with an online course*
- Provide follow-up coaching to teachers
- Deliver a workshop for administrators about how to support implementation
Upon completion of the course, participants will become licensed trainers and can deliver training for their sponsoring school district.
ABOUT LEVEL I TRAINERS
This Train-the-Trainer model is for districts that want to use in-house staff to provide training to teachers. Teachers learn the teaching routine via a combination of face-to-face sessions conducted by district Level I certified trainers and completion of online training modules. School districts are required to pay Keys to Literacy a set fee ($100) for each teacher who is trained by a Level I Trainer. The fee covers the cost of a training book and the online course.
Recommended Trainer Experience: In order to deliver successful training for our programs, we recommend that district-based Level I Trainers have the following:
- Experience teaching students in grades K-12
- Experience delivering formal professional development to groups of teachers
- Background knowledge about research-based methods for teaching literacy
- 5 days of training
- Materials: 2 Key Comprehension Routine training books, 2 online course registrations, and the Level I Trainer Manual
- Free access to the password protected Keys to Literacy resource center
* Please Note:
The online course for The Key Comprehension Routine is an essential component of this Level I training. It is also used by certified Level I trainers to deliver professional training for the program. Participants must bring a laptop to the training to access the online course.
View Printable Brochure/Registration Form or Register Below.
Who Should Participate
Building or district literacy specialists and literacy trainers who have been identified by their school district to provide teacher training for teachers in grades K-12.
Enter the number of attendees you wish to register for Train-the-Trainer for the Key Comprehension Routine.