Aligned to the Common Core Argument Writing Standard, this session emphasizes students’ ability to write sound arguments using text evidence to support a position in a reasoned, logical way.
Participants will learn how to teach students in grades 4-12 to write opinion/argument pieces in content areas. The training will focus on students’ ability to write sound arguments using text evidence to support a position in a reasoned and logical way.
- Expectations of the Common Core argument writing standards
- What is argument writing; differences between argument and persuasive writing
- Argument components: claim, counterclaim, reasons, evidence, rebuttal
- Argument text structure
- Comprehension and critical thinking required
- Using text evidence
- Analyzing models of argument writing
- Planning an argument writing assignment
View Printable Brochure/Registration Form or Register Below.
Who Should Participate
Grades 4-5 elementary teachers, grades 6-12 content classroom teachers, educators who provide support to struggling readers, literacy specialists and coaches, and grades 4-12 administrators.