Training Dates are October 19, November 9, November 30 & December 14! (This is a four day training.)
Live, Virtual Professional Development
Would you like to learn science-based instructional practices for teaching beginning reading skills? This four-day session covers five of the nine modules that make up the full Keys to Beginning Reading course. Module topics are described below.
Virtual-Live Format: The Keys trainer will use Zoom video conferencing to deliver this training in an interactive format using features such as breakout rooms and chat.
The Keys to Beginning Reading professional development course provides background knowledge needed to teach all the components of beginning reading instruction. The instructional practices are designed to easily transfer to classroom lessons and can be integrated with any reading curriculum or published reading program. The full course is 36 hours. This four-day session covers Module 1, 3, 4, 6, and 9.
- Module 1 Reading Basics: provides an overview of the five components of reading, Chall’s stages of reading development, The Simple View of Reading, Scarborough’s reading rope, teaching principles (including I/We/You, explicit instruction), overview of dyslexia, decoding simulation
- Module 3 Phonological Awareness: phonology defined; phonological awareness scope and sequence; instructional practices for teaching word awareness, syllable awareness, rhyming, alliteration, onset & rime; the role of phonemic awareness in learning to read; instructional practices for phoneme blending and segmenting; phoneme manipulation
- Module 4 Phonics (Part 1): alphabetic principle and explicit phonics instruction, decoding and encoding combined, principles of effective phonics instruction, letter recognition and naming
- Module 4 Phonics (Parts 2-4): letter-sound correspondences, phonics scope and sequence, blending and segmenting to decode and spell words, orthographic mapping, using decodable text, high-frequency sight words, syllable types, syllabication for decoding multi-syllable words, schwa, prefixes/suffixes and structural analysis of multi-syllable words
- Module 6 Vocabulary: how to preview unfamiliar vocabulary before read aloud and reading; activities to help students make connections among words (semantic mapping, semantic feature analysis, categorizing, scaling); suggestions for selecting words to teach in-depth; vocabulary templates (Frayer/four square, two-column); how to use context and word parts; developing a word-conscious classroom
- Module 9 Comprehension: activities to support inference-making, metacognition, and comprehension strategies (topic web and two-column graphic organizers, categorizing and main idea skills, retell and summary, question answering and generation)
Daily Schedule on October 19, November 9, November 30 & December 14:
The online participation schedule will be as follows (times are Eastern Time):
8:30-10:00 Session One
10:30-12:00 Session Two
12:30-2:00 Session Three
2:30-4:00 Session Four
*Registrations received after October 8 cannot be guaranteed a book in time for the training.
View a Printable Brochure/Registration form or register below.
Graduate credit available from Pacific University. Click here for information.
- If you cancel 3 days or more prior to training, you will be issued a full refund.
- No refunds will be issued for "no shows" or cancellations within 72 hours of training.
- Substitutions accepted.
Who Should Participate
K-3 classroom teachers of all students, K-5 intervention educators who teach reading to students who have difficulty with basic reading skills, literacy coaches and specialists, elementary administrators
Enter the number of attendees you wish to register for Keys to Beginning Reading Modules 1, 3, 4, 6, 9 (Live Virtual).