Would you like to learn science-based instructional suggestions for teaching beginning reading skills? This course is just what you need! This practical course provides the background knowledge needed to teach all the components of beginning reading. The instructional practices are designed to easily transfer to classroom lessons and can be integrated with any reading curriculum or published reading program. To learn more about Keys to Beginning Reading click here.
The course is organized into nine modules that range from 1.5 to 7.5 hours each. Combined, the modules form the components of beginning reading instruction, just as pieces of fabric are stitched together to form a whole quilt. For this summer institute, the full course will be offered over 5 days (July 13-17) for a total of 32 hours.
- Reading Basics: stages of reading development; 5 components of reading; levels of language
- Oral Language: speaking & listening skills; talk moves for discussion; developing language through read aloud
- Phonological Awareness: word & syllable awareness; rhyming, alliteration, onset-rime; phonemic awareness
- Phonics: alphabetic principle; letter recognition & naming; multisensory cuing for letter-sound correspondences; systematic scope & sequence; syllable type, syllable division & structural analysis for multisyllable words
- Fluency: accuracy, rate, prosody; letter-sound fluency; syllable, word, phrase fluency; oral reading of connected text fluency
- Vocabulary: previewing unfamiliar words; text talk for read aloud; activities to connect vocabulary; teaching academic words in-depth; using context and word parts
- Sentence Structure: teaching sentence skills to develop syntactic awareness
- Text Structure: patterns of organization and transition words; informational and expository text structures
- Comprehension: metacognition; making inferences; beginning comprehension strategies – categorizing, graphic organizers, retell, summary, answering and generating questions
Graduate credit is available for the full course through University of the Pacific. Click here for details.
View a Printable Brochure/Registration Form or Register Below
Who Should Participate
Educators who teach beginning reading skills in grades K-3, educators of struggling readers in grades 4-5, reading specialists or coaches, administrators who are responsible for literacy curriculum.
Enter the number of attendees you wish to register for Keys to Beginning Reading: Teacher Training.