Training Dates are March 3 & March 24! (This is a two day training.)
Live, Virtual Professional Development
The training presents instructional suggestions for the skills required for three kinds of writing tasks: Quick Writes, Content Learning Tasks, and Formal Writing Assignments. Specific skills for text structure at the sentence, paragraph and longer text levels are addressed for writing opinion, informational, or narrative pieces, as well as skills needed to write from sources. Participants receive sample writing templates, graphic organizers, and checklists that are included in the 320-page training book.
The training will be delivered by a Keys to Literacy expert trainer using Zoom Meeting video conferencing in real-time. Assorted interactive Zoom features will be used during each session, including breakout rooms, to enable an engaging virtual professional learning experience.
- Review of research-based best practices for teaching writing in Grades 3-6
- Expectations of the Common Core writing standards
- Stages in the writing process (THINK, PLAN, WRITE, REVISE)
- Ideas for using quick writes to learn content and practice writing skills
- Sentence and paragraph writing skills
- Patterns of organization and related transitions
- Text structures specific to opinion, informational, and narrative writing (i.e., introductions, conclusions, body development)
- Writing from sources, including gathering relevant information into notes
- Suggestions for differentiation and scaffolds to meet the needs of struggling writers
- How to use a Writing Assignment Guide (WAG) to plan writing tasks that incorporate best instructional practices
- Feedback and revision checklists and rubrics
The online participation schedule will be as follows (times are EDT):
8:45-9:00 Sign in, extra help with Zoom Meeting
9:30-10:30 Session 1
10:45-12:15 Session 2
12:45-2:00 Session 3
2:15-3:30 Session 4
LIMITED NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS
In order to maximize participants’ online experience, each offering will be limited to the first 35 people to register.
*Registrations received after February 19 cannot be guaranteed a book in time for the training.
Who Should Participate
Grades 3-6 classroom teachers, educators who provide support to struggling readers, literacy specialists and coaches, and administrators.
View a Printable Brochure/Registration form or register below.
Enter the number of attendees you wish to register for Keys to Content Writing, Grades 3-6 (Live Virtual Training).