Training Dates are November 17 & December 15!
Live, Virtual Professional Development
This two-day virtual, live professional development focuses on writing instruction across all subjects for students in grades 3-12. Participants learn best practices to address the writing requirements of state writing standards, including frequent writing in all content areas.
Virtual-Live Format: The Keys trainer will use Zoom video conferencing to deliver this training in an interactive format using features such as breakout rooms and chat.
The following topics are covered in this session:
- Writing Basics: teaching principles (explicit instruction, using mentor text, providing opportunities for peer collaboration, differentiated instruction and use of scaffolds)
- Quick Writes: short writing tasks to support writing in all subjects
- Sentences & Paragraphs: teaching activities designed to develop strong sentence and paragraph writing
- Stages of the Writing Process: teaching students to follow a think, plan, write, revise process; scaffolds for each stage of the writing process
- Summary Writing: teaching tips and scaffolds for writing summaries in all subjects
- Three Types of Writing: teaching the text structure of informational, opinion/argument, and narrative writing
- Writing from Sources: teaching a routine for writing responses to teacher-generated prompts based on sources
The online participation schedule will be as follows (times are Eastern Time):
8:45-9:00 Sign in, extra help with Zoom Meeting
9:00-10:30 Session 1 (90)
10:45-12:15 Session 2 (90)
12:45-2:00 Session 3 (75)
Total Delivery time: 5.5 hours (per day)
*Registrations received after November 5 cannot be guaranteed a book in time for the training.
View a Printable Brochure/Registration form or register below.
- If you cancel 3 days or more prior to training, you will be issued a full refund.
- No refunds will be issued for "no shows" or cancellations within 72 hours of training.
- Substitutions accepted.
Who Should Participate
Grades 3-12 educators who want to learn effective writing instruction practices for all students, including students who have difficulty with writing.
We recommend that pairs or teams of teachers from the same school participate in the online training at the same time.
Enter the number of attendees you wish to register for Keys to Content Writing, Grades 3-12 (Live Virtual).