Live, Virtual Professional Development
The training presents instructional suggestions for the skills required for three kinds of writing tasks: Quick Writes, Content Learning Tasks, and Formal Writing Assignments. Specific skills for argument and informational types of writing are addressed, including skills needed to write from sources. Participants receive sample writing templates, graphic organizers, and checklists that are included in the 320-page training book.
The training will be delivered by a Keys to Literacy expert trainer using Zoom Meeting video conferencing in real-time. Assorted interactive Zoom features will be used during each session, including breakout rooms, to enable an engaging virtual professional learning experience.
- Overview of the purpose and kinds of writing that support content learning
- Stages in the writing process (THINK, PLAN, WRITE, REVISE)
- Ideas for using quick writes to learn content
- Suggestions for general academic, authentic/real world, and subject-specific content writing tasks
- Writing from sources, including gathering relevant information into notes
- Skills required to complete longer, formal pieces that use the three types of writing (i.e., argument, informational, narrative)
- that incorporate best instructional practices
- Feedback and revision checklists and rubrics
The online participation schedule will be as follows (times are EDT):
8:45-9:00 Sign in, extra help with Zoom Meeting
9:00-10:30 Session 1
10:45-12:15 Session 2
12:45-2:00 Session 3
2:15-3:30 Session 4
LIMITED NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS
In order to maximize participants’ online experience, each offering will be limited to the first 35 people to register.
*Registrations received after March 5 cannot be guaranteed a book in time for the training.
Who Should Participate
Grades 6-12 classroom teachers, educators who provide support to struggling readers, literacy specialists, coaches and administrators.
View a Printable Brochure/Registration form or register below.
Enter the number of attendees you wish to register for Keys to Content Writing, Grades 6-12 (Live Virtual).