Meeting Dates areJanuary 11, January 18, January 25, February 1!
The Key Comprehension Routine: Grades 4-12
This professional development presents evidence-based instructional practices for teaching comprehension strategies in any content area. Participants learn how to teach a set of strategies that students can apply to support reading comprehension. When used across multiple grade levels, students benefit from a consistent approach to comprehension instruction as they move from grade to grade and subject to subject. The format is a facilitated online course combining online course modules with live, virtual meetings.
The following topics are covered in this training:
- Critical thinking: for close, analytic reading of both narrative and expository text
- Key concept and main idea skills: categorizing information and vocabulary, identifying main ideas at the paragraph level, and identifying central ideas in lengthier text
- Text structure knowledge: at the sentence, paragraph, and longer text levels
- Top-down topic webs: a graphic organizer that represents the major topics of any content
- Two-column notes: a note taking format that supports active reading and listening
- Summarizing: students comprehend and synthesize the main ideas from any content
- Generating questions: students create and answer questions along a continuum of thinking using Bloom’s Taxonomy based on content
- I, We, You instruction: strategies are taught explicitly through modeling and think aloud, guided practice is provided, and scaffolds are gradually released as students become independent users of the strategies
- Cooperative learning: students learn and practice comprehension strategies by working in cooperative pairs or small groups
These strategies and instructional practices have been identified consistently in the research literature as most effective for improving student comprehension and are highly aligned with state literacy standards.
About the Format
This is a facilitated online course that combines our online course with four, weekly, hour-long virtual meetings facilitated by a KTL trainer (using Zoom Meeting). Total time to complete the training is approximately 17 hours (4 hours live meetings, 13 hours online course).
The Key Comprehension Routine online course is organized into modules that include interactive activities, readings, and video clips that enable you to master the content and instructional practices. Each week you will complete 1 to 2 modules – you may log in at any time to work through the modules at your own pace. During the live virtual meetings, the trainer will be available to answer your questions about the content in the online course and pose questions to help you plan how to incorporate the teaching strategies in your classroom. The live virtual meetings are scheduled every Tuesday from 6:30-7:30 pm (Eastern Time) on these dates:
- January 11, January 18, January 25, February 1
Registering for this training assumes that you will attend the four, live virtual meetings. However, in case you miss a meeting due to extenuating circumstances, the meetings will be recorded and saved for one week for later viewing.
The last virtual meeting will be on February 1, but you will have access to the online course for a year.
Each course registration comes with a training book that will be mailed to the address you include when you register. PLEASE NOTE that there may be a delay in shipping your book if you do not register with the correct mailing address.
*Registrations received after January 31 cannot be guaranteed a book in time for the training.
Graduate credit available from Pacific University. Click here for information.
View a Printable Brochure/Registration form or register below.
- If you cancel 3 days or more prior to training, you will be issued a full refund.
- No refunds will be issued for "no shows" or cancellations within 72 hours of training.
- Substitutions accepted.
Who Should Participate
Grades 4-12 classroom teachers of all subjects, educators who provide support to struggling readers, literacy specialists and coaches, and administrators.
Enter the number of attendees you wish to register for The Key Comprehension Routine: Grades 4-12 Facilitated Online Course.