The Key Comprehension Routine: Grades K-3
This instructional routine teaches K-3 students basic comprehension skills using existing classroom materials. Teachers learn how to use oral language, visuals, and read-aloud to provide grade-appropriate instruction that can be incorporated during core reading and subject-area instruction. Adoption of The Key Comprehension Routine across K-3 grades provides a consistent set of introductory comprehension skills as students move from grade to grade. The format is a facilitated online course combining online course modules with live, virtual meetings. The bulk of your learning will take place from the content of the online course. During the live virtual meetings, the trainer will be available to answer your questions about the content in the online course and pose questions to help you plan how to incorporate the teaching strategies in your classroom.
The following topics are covered in this training:
- Oral language: how to use oral language and a rich language environment in the classroom to improve listening comprehension, a necessary precursor for reading comprehension
- Text structure — sentences: how to analyze text for read aloud and reading that contains complex sentences and how to build syntactic awareness
- Text structure — paragraphs: how to use knowledge of paragraph structure to support comprehension
- Text structure: building awareness of the difference between narrative and informational structures
- Categorizing and main idea skills: expanding basic categorizing into main idea skills and identifying main ideas during read aloud and reading
- Top-down topic webs: introduction to a flexible, foundational graphic organizer to organize verbal or written information
- Two-column notes: introduction to a format that teaches the difference between main ideas and details
- Retell and summary: using retell to organize and describe the events from a story, and using basic summary to analyze text to identify the most important ideas
- Question generation: students learn that thinking can occur at different levels from easy to difficult through an introduction to question generation using Bloom’s Taxonomy
These strategies and instructional practices have been identified consistently in the research literature as most effective for improving student comprehension and are highly aligned with state literacy standards.
About the Format
This is a facilitated online course that combines our online course with four, weekly, hour-long virtual meetings facilitated by a KTL trainer (using Zoom Meeting). Total time to complete the training is approximately 13 hours (4 hours live meetings, 9 hours online course). The Key Comprehension Routine K-3 online course is organized into modules that include interactive activities, readings, and video clips that enable you to master the content and instructional practices. Each week you will complete 1 to 2 modules – you may log in at any time to work through the modules at your own pace. During the live virtual meetings, the trainer will be available to answer your questions about the content in the online course and pose questions to help you plan how to incorporate the teaching strategies in your classroom. The live virtual meetings are scheduled every Tuesday from 1:00-2:00 pm (Eastern) on these dates:
- July 21, July 28, August 4, August 11
Registering for this training assumes that you will attend the four, live virtual meetings. However, in case you miss a meeting due to extenuating circumstances, the meetings will be recorded for later viewing.
The last virtual meeting will be on August 6, but you will have access to the online course for a year.
Each course registration comes with a training book that will be mailed to the address you include when you register. PLEASE NOTE that there may be a delay in shipping your book if you do not register with the correct mailing address.
Deadline for registration is July 6.
View a Printable Brochure/Registration Form or Register Below
Who Should Participate
All teachers grades K-3, educators who provide support to struggling readers, literacy specialists and coaches, and administrators.
Enter the number of attendees you wish to register for The Key Comprehension Routine: Grades K-3 Online Facilitated Course.