Meeting Dates are January 19, January 26, February 2, February 9!
The Key Vocabulary Routine: Grades 3-12 Facilitated Online Course
This professional development presents evidence-based instructional practices for teaching vocabulary throughout the school day. Participants learn how to teach academic vocabulary using existing content reading instructional materials. When used across multiple grade levels, students benefit from a consistent approach. The format is a facilitated online course combining online course modules with live, virtual meetings.
The following topics are covered in this training:
- Activities for previewing vocabulary before reading
- Four activities for teaching words by relating them to background knowledge and related words (categorizing, semantic mapping, semantic feature analysis, scaling)
- Selecting specific words from content to teach in-depth
- Using vocabulary templates to learn everything about a word (Frayer, Concept Definition Map, two-column notes)
- Generating user-friendly definitions
- Teaching use of context to determine the meaning of unfamiliar words
- Using morphology – knowledge of word parts (roots, prefixes, suffixes) to determine the meaning of unfamiliar words
- Promoting word consciousness in the classroom
About the Format
This is a facilitated online course that combines our online course with four, weekly, hour-long virtual meetings facilitated by a KTL trainer (using Zoom Meeting). The bulk of your learning will take place from the content of the online course. Total time to complete the training is approximately 13.5 hours (4 hours live meetings, 9.5 hours online course). The Key Vocabulary Routine online course is organized into modules that include interactive activities, readings, and video clips that enable you to master the content and instructional practices. Each week you will complete 1 to 2 modules – you may log in at any time to work through the modules at your own pace. During the live virtual meetings, the trainer will be available to answer your questions about the content in the online course and pose questions to help you plan how to incorporate the teaching strategies in your classroom. The live virtual meetings are scheduled every Wednesday from 6:30-7:30 pm (Eastern) on these dates:
- January 19, January 26, February 2, February 9
Registering for this training assumes that you will attend the four, live virtual meetings. However, in case you miss a meeting due to extenuating circumstances, the meetings will be recorded and saved for one week for later viewing.
The last virtual meeting will be on February 9, but you will have access to the online course for a year.
Each course registration comes with a training book that will be mailed to the address you include when you register. PLEASE NOTE that there may be a delay in shipping your book if you do not register with the correct mailing address.
*Registrations received after January 7 cannot be guaranteed a book in time for the training.
View a Printable Brochure/Registration Form or Register Below
Graduate credit available from Pacific University. Click here for information.
- If you cancel 3 days or more prior to training, you will be issued a full refund.
- No refunds will be issued for "no shows" or cancellations within 72 hours of training.
- Substitutions accepted.
Who Should Participate
Grades 3-12 educators who want to learn effective vocabulary instruction practices for all students.
Enter the number of attendees you wish to register for The Key Vocabulary Routine: Grades 3-12 Facilitated Online Course.