Live Virtual Professional Development
This two-day professional development presents research-based instructional practices for teaching comprehension strategies in any content area. Participants learn how to teach a set of strategies that students can apply to support reading comprehension. When used across multiple grade levels, students benefit from a consistent approach to comprehension instruction as they move from grade to grade and subject to subject.
The training will be delivered by a Keys to Literacy expert trainer using Zoom Meeting video conferencing in real-time. Assorted interactive Zoom features will be used during each session, including breakout rooms, to enable an engaging virtual professional learning experience.
The following topics are covered in this session:
- Critical thinking: for close, analytic reading of both narrative and expository text
- Key concept and main idea skills: categorizing information and vocabulary, identifying main ideas at the paragraph level, and identifying central ideas in lengthier text
- Text structure knowledge: at the sentence, paragraph, and longer text levels
- Top-down topic webs: a graphic organizer that represents the major topics of any content
- Two-column notes: a note taking format that supports active reading and listening
- Summarizing: students comprehend and synthesize the main ideas from any content
- Generating questions: students create and answer questions along a continuum of thinking using Bloom’s Taxonomy based on content
- I, We, You instruction: strategies are taught explicitly through modeling and think aloud, guided practice is provided, and scaffolds are gradually released as students become independent users of the strategies
- Cooperative learning: students learn and practice comprehension strategies by working in cooperative pairs or small groups
The online participation schedule will be as follows (times are EDT):
8:15-8:30 Sign in, extra help with Zoom Meeting
8:30-10:00 Session 1 (90)
10:15-11:45 Session 2 (90)
12:30-1:45 Session 3 (75)
Total Delivery time: 5.5 hours
LIMITED NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS
In order to maximize participants’ online experience, each offering will be limited to the first 35 people to register.
ADDRESS TO SHIP BOOK
**Please note that training books will need to be mailed to participants. Books will be mailed to the billing address provided, unless noted otherwise in the notes section of the online registration or sent to us by email.
*Registrations received after June 18 (for June 29-30) and July 9 (for July 20-21) cannot be guaranteed a book in time for the training.
View a Printable Brochure/Registration Form or Register Below
Who Should Participate
Grades 4-12 educators who want to learn effective comprehension instruction practices for all students, including students with reading disabilities.
We recommend that pairs or teams of teachers from the same school participate in this online training together.
Enter the number of attendees you wish to register for your selected Key Comprehension Routine: 4-12 (Live Virtual Training) session.