This is a two day training. Training Dates are April 12 & 26!
Live Virtual Professional Development
This two-day professional development presents research-based instructional practices for teaching comprehension strategies in any content area. Participants learn how to teach a set of strategies that students can apply to support reading comprehension. When used across multiple grade levels, students benefit from a consistent approach to comprehension instruction as they move from grade to grade and subject to subject. The Keys trainer will use Zoom video conferencing to deliver this training in an interactive format using features such as breakout rooms and chat. Sessions are not recorded - attendance only in real time.
The following topics are covered in this session:
- Critical thinking: for close, analytic reading of both narrative and expository text
- Main idea skills: categorizing information and vocabulary, identifying main ideas at the paragraph level, and identifying central ideas in lengthier text
- Text structure knowledge: at the sentence, paragraph, and longer text levels
- Top-down topic web: a graphic organizer that represents the major topics of any content
- Two-column notes: a note taking format that supports active reading and listening
- Summarizing: students comprehend and synthesize the main ideas from any content
- Generating questions: students create and answer questions along a continuum of thinking using Bloom’s Taxonomy based on content
- I, We, You instruction: strategies are taught explicitly through modeling and think aloud, guided practice is provided, and scaffolds are gradually released as students become independent users of the strategies
- Cooperative learning: students learn and practice comprehension strategies by working in cooperative pairs or small groups
ADDRESS TO SHIP BOOK
**Please note that training books will need to be mailed to participants. Books will be mailed to the billing address provided, unless noted otherwise in the notes section of the online registration or sent to us by email.
*Registrations received after March 27 cannot be guaranteed a book in time for the training.
We recommend that pairs or teams of teachers from the same school participate in this virtual training together.
View a Printable Brochure/Registration Form or Register Below Graduate credit available from Pacific University. Click here for information.
- If you cancel 3 days or more prior to training, you will be issued a full refund.
- No refunds will be issued for "no shows" or cancellations within 72 hours of training.
- Substitutions accepted.
Who Should Participate
Grades 4-12 educators who want to learn effective comprehension instruction practices for all students, including students who have difficulty reading.
Enter the number of attendees you wish to register for Key Comprehension Routine: Grades 4-12 (Live Virtual Training).