Keys to Beginning Reading
A reading survey course for K-3 educators.
Would you like to learn science-based instructional suggestions for teaching foundational reading skills? The professional development modules in this course are just what you need!
The course is organized into modules covering these topics:
- Reading Basics
- Oral Language
- Phonological & Phonemic Awareness
- Phonics & Advanced Word study
- Sentence and Text Structure
This practical course provides the background knowledge needed to teach all the components of beginning reading instruction. The instructional practices are designed to easily transfer to classroom lessons and can be integrated with any reading curriculum or published reading program. The course is tightly aligned with state literacy standards.
The core module content takes approximately 32 hours to deliver; the modules range from 1.5 to 7.5 hours each. Modules can be delivered as a week-long course, bundled into two- or three-day sessions, or individually on single days. One training manual (450 pages) with handouts for all of the modules is economically priced at $99 per person. Beyond the 32-hour coursework: Optional classroom application activities and make-and-take suggestions are included with every module.
Who should participate?
This course is designed for any educator who teaches basic reading skills to students in grades K-3 or students in upper elementary grades who struggle with basic reading skills. It is also appropriate for literacy coaches and administrators who develop beginning reading curriculum or support teachers.
How can educators access the course?
- Keys to Literacy trainers can deliver any course module or the full course onsite at your school, district, or educational organization following a flexible schedule that meets your time frame. Contact us to make arrangements.
- A Train-the-Trainer model is available for districts and educational organizations that wish to train large numbers of educators. Click here for Train-the-Trainer information.