Keys to Beginning Reading
Evidence-Based Professional Development
Would you like to learn evidence-based instructional practices for teaching foundational reading skills that are aligned with the science of reading? The professional development modules in this course are just what you need!
The course is organized into 9 core modules covering these topics (with delivery time noted):
- Module 1: Reading Basics (1.5 hrs)
- Module 2: Oral Language (1.5 hrs)
- Module 3: Phonological Awareness (3 hrs)
- Module 4: Phonics (7.5 hrs)
- Module 5: Fluency (3 hrs)
- Module 6: Vocabulary (6 hrs)
- Module 7: Sentence Structure (1.5 hrs)
- Module 8: Text Structure (1.5 hrs)
- Module 9: Comprehension (6 hrs)
There are 3 supplemental modules:
- Instruction for Struggling Students (2 hrs)
- Reading Assessment (2 hrs)
- Course Review (2 hrs)
This practical course provides the background knowledge needed to teach all the components of beginning reading instruction. The instructional practices are designed to easily transfer to classroom lessons and can be integrated with any reading curriculum or published reading program. The course is tightly aligned with state literacy standards.
The core module content takes 31.5 hours to deliver. The three supplemental modules add another 6 hours. Modules can be delivered as a week-long course, bundled into two- or three-day sessions, or individually on single days. Schools can provide training for some or all of the modules. One training manual (450 pages) with handouts for all of the modules is economically priced at $99 per person. Optional classroom activities and “connect to the classroom” implementation coaching is available.
Colorado CDE Approved Version
A customized, 45.5 hour version of Keys to Beginning Reading has been approved to meet the Colorado Read Act requirement of evidence-based PD for K-3 teachers. Click here to see the list. It was also selected as the course that CDE staff will be offering free to districts. Please contact us to learn more.
Who should participate?
This course is designed for any educator who teaches basic reading skills to students in grades K-3 or students in upper elementary grades who struggle with basic reading skills. It is also appropriate for literacy coaches and administrators who develop beginning reading curriculum or support teachers.
How can educators access the course?
- Keys to Literacy trainers can deliver any course module or the full course onsite, in-person at your school, district, or educational organization following a flexible schedule that meets your time frame. The course has also been fully modified to be presented in a virtual-live format using Zoom Meeting video conferencing. Contact us to make arrangements.
- A Train-the-Trainer model is available for districts and educational organizations that wish to train large numbers of educators. Click here for Train-the-Trainer information.
- Click here for a form to order the Keys to Beginning Reading training manual.