During this professional development, educators learn instructional practices that address grades 4-5 opinion writing and grades 6-12 argument writing standards of the Common Core. These instructional practices have been identified consistently in the research literature as most effective for improving student writing skills. Teachers learn how to teach students to write sound arguments using text evidence in any subject area.
Keys to Argument Writing addresses these topics:
- Expectations of the Common Core opinion/argument writing standards
- Differences between argument and persuasive writing
- Argument components: claim, counterclaim, reasons, evidence, rebuttal
- Argument text structure, including introduction, body development, and conclusion
- Use of linking words and phrases
- Comprehension and critical thinking required to support an argument
- Gathering evidence from sources into notes
- Analyzing models of argument writing
- Planning an argument writing assignment
Who Should Participate
Grades 4-5 elementary teachers, grades 6-12 content classroom teachers, educators who provide support to struggling readers, literacy specialists and coaches, and grades 4-12 administrators.