This is a two day training. Training Dates are March 7 & 21, 2023.
Live, Virtual Professional Development
This two-day virtual, live professional development covers 3 of the 11 modules in the Keys to Beginning Reading professional development course. After an overview of reading basics, the training focuses on phonological awareness and phonics. Participants learn research-based practices that are aligned with the science of reading.
Virtual-Live Format: The Keys trainer will use Zoom video conferencing to deliver this training in an interactive format using features such as breakout rooms and chat. Sessions are not recorded - attendance only in real time.
- Module 1 Reading Basics: Provides an overview of the five components of reading, Chall’s stages of reading development, The Simple View of Reading, Scarborough’s reading rope, teaching principle (I/We/You, explicit instruction), overview of dyslexia, decoding simulation
- Module 3 Phonological Awareness: Phonology defined; phonological awareness scope and sequence; instructional practices for teaching word awareness, syllable awareness, rhyming, alliteration, onset & rime; the role of phonemic awareness in learning to read; instructional practices for phoneme blending and segmenting; phoneme manipulation
- Module 4 Phonics (Part 1): Alphabetic principle and explicit phonics instruction, decoding and encoding combined, principles of effective phonics instruction, letter recognition and naming.
- Module 4 Phonics (Parts 2-4): letter-sound correspondences, phonics scope and sequence, blending and segmenting to decode and spell words, orthographic mapping, using decodable text, high-frequency sight words, syllable types, syllabication for decoding multi-syllable words, schwa, prefixes/suffixes and structural analysis of multi-syllable words.
ADDRESS TO SHIP BOOK
**Please note that training books will need to be mailed to participants. Books will be mailed to the billing address provided, unless noted otherwise in the notes section of the online registration or sent to us by email.
*Registrations received after February 20 cannot be guaranteed a book in time for the training.
View a Printable Brochure/Registration Form or Register Below.
- If you cancel 3 days or more prior to training, you will be issued a full refund.
- No refunds will be issued for "no shows" or cancellations within 72 hours of training.
- Substitutions accepted.
Who Should Participate
K-3 classroom teachers of all students, K-5 intervention educators who teach reading to students who have difficulty with basic reading skills, literacy coaches and specialists, elementary administrators.