Training Dates are October 20, November 10 & December 1! (This is a three day training.)
Live, Virtual Professional Development
This three-day virtual, live professional development focuses on writing instruction for students in grades K-2. Participants learn developmentally appropriate best practices for teaching beginning writing skills to young students.
Virtual-Live Format: The Keys trainer will use Zoom video conferencing to deliver this training in an interactive format using features such as breakout rooms and chat.
This training translates the research on effective writing for young students into practical teaching suggestions that are aligned to state writing standards for grades K-2.
The following topics are covered in this session:
- Writing Basics: K-2 writing development, role of handwriting and spelling
- Teaching Principles: explicit instruction, gradual release of responsibility, oral language as a foundation, using mentor text, differentiation and scaffolding
- Engaging a Community of Writers: writing environment, teachers as model writers, peer collaboration, conferencing
- Stages of the Writing Process: introducing students to a think/plan/write process, developmentally appropriate revision strategies, teacher and peer feedback
- First Steps – Drawing, Labels, Lists: drawing as a form of composing, illustration study, word labels and lists, spelling and word development stages
- Syntax, Sentences: basic sentence parts, four types of sentences, sentence frame scaffolds, activities to develop syntactic awareness (sentence scramble, sentence elaboration, sentence combining)
- Paragraph Writing: paragraph structure, paragraph writing practice activities, paragraph scaffolds, patterns of organization, transition words and phrases
- The Three Types of Writing: instructional suggestions for teaching and practicing opinion, informational, and narrative writing
- Writing from Sources: instructional suggestions for introducing students to skills needed to compose from sources
The online participation schedule will be as follows (times are Eastern Time):
8:45-9:00 Sign in, extra help with Zoom Meeting
9:00-10:30 Session 1 (90)
10:45-12:15 Session 2 (90)
12:45-2:00 Session 3 (75)
Total Delivery time: 5.5 hours (per day)
ADDRESS TO SHIP BOOK
**Please note that training books will need to be mailed to participants. Books will be mailed to the billing address provided, unless noted otherwise in the notes section of the online registration or sent to us by email.
*Registrations received after October 8 cannot be guaranteed a book in time for the training.
View a Printable Brochure/Registration Form or Register Below
- If you cancel 3 days or more prior to training, you will be issued a full refund.
- No refunds will be issued for "no shows" or cancellations within 72 hours of training.
- Substitutions accepted.
Who Should Participate
Grades K-2 classroom teachers and grades 3-4 educators who work students who have difficulty with writing.
Enter the number of attendees you wish to register for Keys to Early Writing (Live Virtual Training).