Training Dates are March 10 & April 7! (This is a two day training.)
Live, Virtual Professional Development
This 2-day professional development trains teachers to introduce basic oral and written expression skills to students in grades K-2.
Virtual-Live Format: The Keys trainer will use Zoom video conferencing to deliver this training in an interactive format using features such as breakout rooms, chat, and Google shared documents.
This training translates the research on effective writing for young students into practical teaching suggestions that are aligned to state writing standards for grades K-2.
Creating a writing environment, use mentor text, and provide daily opportunities to write
- Engage a community of writers, including teachers as writers
- Suggestions for conferencing and feedback opportunities
- Stages of the writing process (think, plan, write, revise)
- First steps: drawing, labels, lists
- Teaching sentence writing, developing syntactic awareness
- Introduction to basic paragraph structure, transitions
- Introduction to the 3 types of writing (informational, opinion, narrative)
- Beginning skills for writing from sources
- Scaffolds: graphic organizers, word lists, writing templates
When Keys to Early Writing is adopted by a school or district, teachers learn a consistent instructional routine for primary grade writing skills that builds strong writers from kindergarten to grade 2.
The online participation schedule will be as follows (times are EDT):
8:45-9:00 Sign in, extra help with Zoom Meeting
9:00-10:30 Session 1 (90)
10:45-12:15 Session 2 (90)
12:45-2:00 Session 3 (75)
Total Delivery time: 5.5 hours (per day)
LIMITED NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS
In order to maximize participants’ online experience, each offering will be limited to the first 35 people to register.
ADDRESS TO SHIP BOOK
**Please note that training books will need to be mailed to participants. Books will be mailed to the billing address provided, unless noted otherwise in the notes section of the online registration or sent to us by email.
*Registrations received after February 26 cannot be guaranteed a book in time for the training.
Who Should Participate
Grades K-2 teachers, educators who provide support to struggling writers, literacy specialists and coaches, and grades elementary administrators.
View a Printable Brochure/Registration Form or Register Below
Enter the number of attendees you wish to register for Keys to Early Writing (Live Virtual Training).