Training Dates are April 26 & May 17! (This is a two day training.)
Live, Virtual Professional Development
This two-day virtual, live professional development focuses on writing instruction for students in grades K-2. Participants learn developmentally appropriate, evidence-based practices for teaching beginning writing skills to young students.
Virtual-Live Format: The Keys trainer will use Zoom video conferencing to deliver this training in an interactive format using features such as breakout rooms and chat.
The following topics are covered in this session:
- Writing Basics and Community: K-2 writing development, review of research-based best practices, oral language connection, writing lesson routine, writing environment, mentor text, 3 types of writing
- Writing Process: think-plan-write-revise, peer collaboration, teacher feedback and conferencing
- First Steps: drawing, labels, lists, role of spelling and handwriting
- Sentences: sentence basics, developing syntactic awareness
- Paragraph Writing: teaching paragraph structure, scaffolds, patterns of organization
- Writing from Sources: types of writing in content areas, shared beginning research-writing
The online participation schedule will be as follows (times are Eastern Time):
8:45-9:00 Sign in, extra help with Zoom Meeting
9:00-10:30 Session 1 (90)
10:45-12:15 Session 2 (90)
12:45-2:00 Session 3 (75)
Total Delivery time: 5.5 hours (per day)
ADDRESS TO SHIP BOOK
**Please note that training books will need to be mailed to participants. Books will be mailed to the billing address provided, unless noted otherwise in the notes section of the online registration or sent to us by email.
*Registrations received after April 4 cannot be guaranteed a book in time for the training.
View a Printable Brochure/Registration Form or Register Below
- If you cancel 3 days or more prior to training, you will be issued a full refund.
- No refunds will be issued for "no shows" or cancellations within 72 hours of training.
- Substitutions accepted.
Who Should Participate
Grades K-2 classroom teachers and grades 3-4 educators who work students who have difficulty with writing.
Enter the number of attendees you wish to register for Keys to Early Writing (Live Virtual Training).