Training Dates are November 3 & December 1! (This is a two day training.)
Live, Virtual Professional Development
This two-day professional development presents research-based instructional practices for teaching vocabulary throughout the school day. Participants learn how to teach academic vocabulary using existing content reading instructional materials. When used across multiple grade levels, students benefit from a consistent approach.
Virtual-Live Format: The Keys trainer will use Zoom video conferencing to deliver this training in an interactive format using features such as breakout rooms and chat.
The following topics are covered in this session:
- Activities for previewing vocabulary before reading
- Four activities for teaching words by relating them to background knowledge and related words (categorizing, semantic mapping, semantic feature analysis, scaling)
- Selecting specific words from content to teach in-depth
- Using vocabulary templates to learn everything about a word (Frayer, Concept Definition Map, two-column notes)
- Generating user-friendly definitions
- Teaching use of context to determine the meaning of unfamiliar words
- Using morphology – knowledge of word parts (roots, prefixes, suffixes) to determine the meaning of unfamiliar words
- Promoting word consciousness in the classroom
The online participation schedule will be as follows (times are Eastern Time):
8:45-9:00 Sign in, extra help with Zoom Meeting
9:00-10:30 Session 1 (90)
10:45-12:15 Session 2 (90)
12:45-2:00 Session 3 (75)
Total Delivery time: 5.5 hours (per day)
ADDRESS TO SHIP BOOK
**Please note that training books will need to be mailed to participants. Books will be mailed to the billing address provided, unless noted otherwise in the notes section of the online registration or sent to us by email.
*Registrations received after October 22 cannot be guaranteed a book in time for the training.
Graduate credit available from Pacific University. Click here for information.
View a Printable Brochure/Registration Form or Register Below.
- If you cancel 3 days or more prior to training, you will be issued a full refund.
- No refunds will be issued for "no shows" or cancellations within 72 hours of training.
- Substitutions accepted.
Who Should Participate
Grades 3-12 educators who want to learn effective vocabulary instruction practices for all students.
Enter the number of attendees you wish to register for The Key Vocabulary Routine (Live Virtual Training).