SESSION FULL!! Please continue to check our website for future Key Vocabulary Routine training sessions.
Live, Virtual Professional Development
Hosted by Ohio State Support Team Region 5
This two-day, virtual professional development presents evidence-based instructional practices for teaching academic vocabulary throughout the school day in all subject areas. Participants learn how to teach academic vocabulary using existing content reading instructional materials. When used across multiple grade levels, students benefit from a consistent approach to vocabulary instruction as they move from grade to grade and subject to subject. The session will be live using Zoom Meeting and other remote learning technology.( Please note that this remote event is replacing the originally scheduled face-to-face event at the SSTR5 site in Canfield, OH)
State literacy standards require students to build the academic vocabulary they need to access grade level content and complex texts. The Key Vocabulary Routine provides vocabulary instruction that all teachers can use to teach vocabulary and word learning skills. The following topics are covered in this session:
- Activities for previewing vocabulary before reading
- Four activities for teaching words by relating them to background knowledge and related words (categorizing, semantic mapping, semantic feature analysis, scaling)
- Selecting specific words from content to teach in-depth
- Using vocabulary templates to learn everything about a word (Frayer, Concept Definition Map, two-column notes)
- Generating user-friendly definitions
- Teaching use of context to determine the meaning of unfamiliar words
- Using morphology – knowledge of word parts (roots, prefixes, suffixes) to determine the meaning of unfamiliar words
- Promoting word consciousness in the classroom
The online participation schedule will be as follows:
8:30-10:30 Session One
11:00-12:00 Session Two
1:00-3:00 Session Three
LIMITED NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS
In order to maximize participants’ online experience, each offering will be limited to the first 35 people to register.
ADDRESS TO SHIP BOOK
**Please note that training books will need to be mailed to participants. Books will be mailed to the billing address provided, unless noted otherwise in the notes section of the online registration or sent to us by email.
*Registrations received after June 8 cannot be guaranteed a book in time for the training.
Who Should Participate
Grades 4-12 educators who want to learn effective vocabulary instruction practices for all students, including students with reading disabilities.
We recommend that pairs or teams of teachers from the same school participate in this online training at the same time.