Mass Literacy Online Overview Course
Welcome, and thank you for your interest in taking this online course!
This asynchronous online course is offered by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education as part of the commonwealth’s Mass Literacy initiative, a statewide effort to empower educators with the evidence-based practices for literacy that all students need. It is available at no cost to any educator who works in a Massachusetts education organization (e.g., public or private school/school district; institute of higher education; local, regional, or state educational organization).
This is a companion course to the Mass Literacy Guide website, which houses an extensive collection of resources for educators that includes links to articles, videos, literacy websites, and much more. Click here to visit the Mass Literacy Guide.
As a result of the learning experiences in this course, participants will deepen their understanding of how to:
- Teach literacy using evidence-based instructional practices for foundational skills and engaging with complex text.
- Utilize a multi-tiered system of support for students experiencing reading difficulties.
Course Host, Online Platform, and Registration
Keys to Literacy developed the Mass Literacy Online Course and hosts the course on Teachable, a user-friendly online course platform. Keys to Literacy also coordinates the registration process for accessing the course.
- Individual educators should click here to access a registration form. Applications will only be accepted through this Google Form. You must include the name and address of the Massachusetts-based education organization where you work.
- Schools, districts, or other educational organizations that want to register a group of educators should email email@example.com for a group registration form. Please include “Mass Literacy Online Course” in the subject line.
Due to the expected high volume of applications, it may take us up to 2 weeks to process all registrations. Please check your WORK email daily, including your SPAM folder.
Course Length and Asynchronous Format
- The course is asynchronous, which means you can log on and off multiple times to complete the course assignments at your own pace.
- The course is designed to be completed on average in approximately 15 hours. However, the actual time it may take you to complete the course will depend on the pace at which you move through the course, the amount of time you spend on supplemental reflection activities, and the time you take to explore the related resources at the Mass Literacy Guide website.
- If you successfully complete the course, you will be able to download a Certificate of Completion for 15 hours/PDPs.
As with all online coursework, you are responsible for much of your learning. We suggest you develop a plan and schedule for completing the course modules in order to manage your time and pace yourself. Watch and read all course materials so you do not miss any important information.
Course Completion Requirements:
- The course is designed so that users must take the course in module order. This includes completing each assignment page before you can move on to the next.
- There is a quiz at the end of most modules designed to support your learning of course content. You must pass the quiz with a score of at least 80% before you can move on to the next module. You can take a quiz up to six times. If you do not pass the first time, you should go back over the content in the module to review any information you may have missed.
- In order to access your Certificate of Completion at the end of the course, you must complete and pass all module quizzes.
All materials needed to complete the course are embedded in the online course or located at the Mass Literacy Guide website. There will be opportunities throughout the course to download and save text, templates, and other instructional resources.
When does the course start and finish?
The course is available to start as soon as you are enrolled by Keys to Literacy through the registration process, and can be taken at your own pace. You will have access to the course for as long as the Massachusetts Department of Education offers the course. The registration process may take up to 2 weeks; you will receive an email notice from Keys to Literacy when you can begin the course and login details. Please check your WORK email daily, including your SPAM folder.
What type of equipment will I need to complete the course?
You will need a computer or tablet with the latest browser. You will also need a valid and working email address so Keys to Literacy can communicate with you (you must use your work email). Also, there are a number of documents that you will need to download during the course. These downloads will be in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF.
Will I receive a grade for this course?
No grades will be awarded for this course.
Can this course be used towards professional development points?
Yes. If you complete the course you will be able to download a Certificate of Completion for 15 hours/PDP’s.
How do I get help?
The course uses the Teachable online course platform. If you have questions about how to use Teachable while you are taking the course, select the Teachable HELP option (question mark in a circle) in the navigation bar at the left of your screen. If you have other questions about this course, please contact Keys to Literacy via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Can I receive college credit for taking the course?
No, college credit is not available for this course.
Does the course align with a specific reading program?
No, The instructional suggestions are not aligned to a any reading program.
How can I access additional professional learning resources and coursework?
The Mass Literacy Guide and the online course list numerous suggestions for supplemental resources to extend your learning. If you or your school are looking for additional professional development services, consider the free resources at the Keys to Literacy website, or contact us for information about our training courses.