This is a one-day training. March 12, 2024
Live, Virtual Professional Development
What kind of literacy instruction do students in grades 5-12 need? What is content literacy instruction? This one-day workshop offers an overview of adolescent literacy for students in grades 5-12 in all subjects. It builds the background knowledge of middle and high school teachers about how students learn to read, best practices for teaching content reading and writing skills, and why some older students have difficulty. Virtual-Live Format: The Keys trainer will use Zoom video conferencing to deliver this training in an interactive format using features such as breakout rooms and chat. Sessions are not recorded - attendance only in real time.
**Please note, there is some repeated content in Keys to Adolescent Literacy and Adolescent Reading Intervention. Participants should read each description to determine which training would be most appropriate for their needs.
- Reading and Writing Basics for Grades 5-12:
- Adolescent literacy defined, overview of adolescent literacy research, development of reading and writing
- Content Literacy Instruction for All Students:
- Content literacy defined
- Suggestions for teaching academic vocabulary and comprehension strategies
- Overview of content writing
- Disciplinary literacy
- Motivation and engagement
- Older Struggling Students:
- Causes of difficulty, dyslexia, executive functions
- English as a second language
- How word study, vocabulary, comprehension, writing are affected
View a Printable Brochure/Registration Form or Register Below.
- If you cancel 3 days or more prior to training, you will be issued a full refund.
- No refunds will be issued for "no shows" or cancellations within 72 hours of training.
- Substitutions accepted.
Who Should Participate
Educators and administrators who are interested in learning more about literacy instruction in grades 5-12.
Enter the number of attendees you wish to register for Keys to Adolescent Literacy (Live Virtual Training).