PK-3 Writing Instruction Resources
The non-profit website Reading Rockets has an extensive collection of resources related to writing instruction for grades PK – 3.
Here’s what you will find at the Looking at Writing section of the Reading Rockets website:
- Writing samples from real kids
- Advice about instruction based on samples
- Guidance on writing assessment
- Writing resources
- Videos of nationally recognized experts on writing instruction
The information is organized by grade level, starting with PreK and ending with grade 3.
For example, here is what you will find at the Kindergarten section:
- 5 different Kindergarten student writing samples with analysis of what the child is able to do as a writer and what he/she needs to learn next
- Kindergarten appropriate classroom strategies: alphabet matching, concept of word, concept sorts, rhyming games
- Kindergarten appropriate related resources
Here’s what you will find at the Grade 3 section:
- 5 different Grade 3 student writing samples with analysis of what the child is able to do as a writer and what he/she needs to learn next
- Grade 3 appropriate classroom strategies: paragraph hamburger, paragraph shrinking, writing conferences
- Grade 3 appropriate related resources
Keys to Literacy is in development of a K-3 Writing PD program – Stay tuned!
Leave a Reply